Washington is a national leader in traffic safety. Our vision is to reduce traffic fatalities and serious injuries to zero by 2030 by following Target Zero: The Plan (pdf 5 mb).
We coordinate Washington’s traffic safety efforts in several ways. We:
- Work with communities and tribes to identify and help resolve traffic safety issues
- Gather, analyze and report data on traffic deaths in Washington
- Distribute state and federal traffic safety funds
- Conduct public education campaigns
Most of our funding comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- We award grants to:
- State and local governments
- Law enforcement
- Non-profit organizations
- We primarily fund traffic safety projects that:
- Change driver behavior
- Address Target Zero priorities