Bio: Karen has been the TZM for Region 16 since 2009. She has worked in the Spokane County Public Works Department, Traffic Section, for over 28 years. She has managed corridor safety, pedestrian, impaired driving, speed, seat belt, and child passenger safety projects. She is an active supporter of the two DUI courts in Spokane County, as well as, the two recently received DUI FTE officer grants.
The Spokane County Target Zero Task force was first established in 1981. The task force meets six times a year with members from local city/county/state engineering, local law enforcement agencies, judicial, courts, citizens, substance abuse agencies, transportation groups, schools/colleges and traffic safety driving organizations, etc. The task force uses the proven and recommended strategies in Target Zero to reduce the traffic fatal and serious collisions in our region. We know by working together, we can reach our Target Zero goal of zero deaths and serious injuries by 2030.
Traffic safety priorities for region:
- Reduce impaired, speed, and distracted driving collisions and fatalities
- Promote pedestrian safety
- Educate young drivers on the possible consequences of impaired driving
- Work with engineering to increase safety improvements
List of 5 projects/activities done in your region:
- Target Zero Team Impaired driving patrols
- Statewide emphasis patrols
- Pedestrian safety media and enforcement campaign
- EWU Plan Ahead campaign
- DUI Courts