Region 16 Target Zero Manager
Bio: John recently took over the position of Target Zero Manager for (TZM) for Region 16 encompassing Spokane, Stevens, Pend Oreille and Whitman Counties. He spent the last 26 years working as a police officer for the Spokane Police Department serving as the Sergeant of the Traffic unit since 2014 where he oversaw the departments traffic school and photo red/ photo speed programs. John has a background in Collision investigation from his time as a motor officer, commercial vehicle officer with training through collision reconstruction. He has been involved in managing pedestrian, impaired driving, speed, seat belt, and commercial vehicle grants directly related to traffic safety and reducing serious injury and fatal collisions. He is an active supporter of the two DUI courts in Spokane County, as well as, the two recently received DUI FTE officer grants.
The Spokane County Target Zero Task force was first established in 1981. The task force meets six times a year with members from local city/county/state engineering, local law enforcement agencies, judicial, courts, citizens, substance abuse agencies, transportation groups, schools/colleges and traffic safety driving organizations, etc. The task force uses the proven and recommended strategies in Target Zero to reduce the traffic fatal and serious collisions in our region. We know by working together, we can reach our Target Zero goal of zero deaths and serious injuries by 2030.
Traffic safety priorities for region:
- Reduce impaired driving, speeding and aggressive driving, and distracted driving to reduce overall collisions and fatalities
- Promote pedestrian safety
- Educate young drivers on safe driving behaviors and use positive community norming messages to empower them to make good choices.
- Work with engineering to increase safety improvements
List of 5 projects/activities done in this region:
- Implemented full time impaired driving unit
- Statewide emphasis patrols
- Pedestrian safety media and enforcement campaign
- DUI Courts