Frequently Asked Questions
State, county, city and tribal law enforcement agencies qualify for law enforcement equipment grants.
Public, private and tribal schools within the state of Washington also qualify for school zone crossing guard equipment grants.
What’s typically funded?
We fund equipment for law enforcement agencies that are currently active in school zone enforcement. Some typical requests are radars, LIDARS, and rain gear. We also fund school zone crossing guard equipment to elementary and middle schools.
What are the grant application deadlines?
A request for law enforcement funding can be submitted at any time. A request for school zone crossing guard funding can be submitted once per school per school year. Deadlines for the school zone flashing lights grants change depending on when the most recent notice has been posted.
How do I apply?
- Go to WEMS (WTSC Enterprise Management System) – https://wtsc.smartsimple.com
- If you are a new user you will need to register for School Grants on the left hand side of the screen.
- Enter your organization (school) name and proceed with your contact information and submit.
- You will receive an email with login instructions within an hour (be sure to check your junk mailbox).
- After you receive your email, log into WEMS and click “Start Proposal” next to Crossing Guard (School
Zone) under “Call for Proposals”.
- Be sure to start the application process by clicking “SAVE DRAFT.” You’ll see a link to a document called
“Guidelines/Instructions” where you’ll see more details about the application process.
- Write a brief description of how the equipment your wish to purchase with support school zone safety
in the “Grant Justification” section.
- Enter the desired items you wish to purchase (only items selected here will be eligible for
- Upload quotes for the equipment you wish to purchase. Maximum reimbursement is $300.
- Submit your proposal.
- Once your application is approved, you will receive an email confirmation and a copy of the A-19 form
that you will need to submit after your equipment has been purchased.
Is the grant money federally funded or state funded? What is the CFDA number?
The school zone grants are state funds so there is no CFDA number attached. The funds are from the State School Zone Safety Account as created under RCW 46.61.440.
What is a SWV (Statewide Vendor) number?
The Statewide Vendor (SWV) number is assigned by the state for those vendors doing business WITH the state. From the Office of Financial Management (OFM – a state agency) website:
In order to receive payment for services or products provided to a state agency, you must register with the Statewide Payee Desk. When you register you may choose to have your payments directly deposited to your bank or mailed to you as a check.
How do I find my SWV (Statewide Vendor) number?
Call the Office of Financial Management (OFM – a state agency) at 360-407-8180. Have your FED ID # handy.
Is the SWV (Statewide Vendor) number the same as my Federal ID #?
NO. Your Federal ID number is in the form of 91-#######. Your Statewide Vendor (SWV) number is issued by Office of Financial Management (OFM – a state agency) and is in the form of SWV#######-##.
Is the SWV (Statewide Vendor) number the same as my UBI #?
NO. Your Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number is in the form of ###-###-### and issued by Department of Revenue to identify vendors/persons engaging in business activities. Your Statewide Vendor (SWV) number is issued by Office of Financial Management (OFM – a state agency) and is in the form of SWV#######-##.
Can WTSC recommend a school zone flashing beacon vendor to me?
WTSC does not recommend or endorse any vendors for school zone flashing beacons.
Where can I obtain an A19 reimbursement form?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the proper A19 reimbursement form specific to YOUR grant. For school zone grants, there are specific codes on the A19 reimbursement form.
Who can I talk to about how to fill out my A19 reimbursement request form?
Email email@example.com for the steps to fill out your reimbursement request form.
Where is my reimbursement check being sent?
Your reimbursement check will be sent to the address directly connected with your State Vendor Number. If the Statewide Vendor (SWV) Number is connected to the school district, call your school district to locate your reimbursement check.
If you still cannot locate your reimbursement check, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I add items to my grant approval?
If you want to purchase items that are in addition to your grant approval, send your request to email@example.com listing the equipment you want to purchase, the cost and how it relates to School Zone Safety BEFORE you purchase the equipment and send in your reimbursement request. If you send in the reimbursement request prior to obtaining approval for the additional equipment, you may not be approved for the reimbursement of the additional equipment.
Can I get an extension on my grant?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your agency name and city (full address is not necessary)
- Your Grant approval code: You will find this on your approval letter at the bottom right corner starting with either SZ# or LE#
- Explanation for your extension request
- How much time are you requesting